Skilled workers are people who are selected as permanent residents based on their ability to become economically established in Canada.
Federal skilled worker applications are assessed for eligibility according to the criteria set out below.
For your application to be eligible for processing, you must:
- Include the results of your official language proficiency test, AND
- Have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
- Have one year of continuous full-time paid work experience in at least one of the occupations listed below;
Following are the skilled worker categories approved for migration to Canada :
Restaurant and Food Service Managers
Primary Production Managers (Except Agriculture)
Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management (Cap reached)
Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners
Biologists and Related Scientists
General Practitioners and Family Physicians
Pharmacists (Cap reached)
Registered Nurses (Cap reached)
Medical Radiation Technologists
Dental Hygienists & Dental Therapists
Licensed Practical Nurses
Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
Contractors and Supervisors, Mechanic Trades
Electricians (Except Industrial & Power System)
Welders & Related Machine Operators
Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
Drillers & Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying & Construction
Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service
NOTE: the occupations above are all Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification list.
Minimum work experience requirements
If your application is eligible for processing, it will then be assessed against minimum requirements.
Your work experience must be:
• for at least one year, continuous, and paid (full-time or the equivalent in part-time), AND
• Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list, AND
• Within the last 10 years.
If you meet the above minimum requirements, your application will be processed according to the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid , which are:
• Your education
• Your abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages
• Your work experience
• Your age
• Whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and
• Your adaptability.
You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada.